Castles, Halls and Islands
County Square Ulverston
01229 - 582610
The Coronation Hall is a 636 seat theatre and is one of the principle buildings located in the
market town of Ulverston .It was built at the beginning of the 20th century to commemorate the Coronation of King George V. The hall is built on the site
of the former County Hotel that burned down in 1911. The foundation stone was laid in 1914 and the official opening was took place in 1920.
The hall is a traditional proscenium arched theatre in a English Renaissance style and the inside is richley decorated with ornate plaster carvings. Today
the hall is maintained by Ulverston Urban District Council.
Today the hall plays host to all types of events from local shows to the famous Ulverstone beer festival. The hall houses the local tourist office.
Barrow Town Hall
01229 - 876300
Barrow town hall is a beautiful red local sandstone building designed by W H Lynn in a
Victorian Gothic style. During its build the tower had to be re-built when cracks appeared at its base during construction. The town hall was opened by
the Marquis of Hartington who became the 8th Duke of Devonshire in the summer of 1887.
Today the building is a working environment with local council offices but it is also used for ceremonial civic functions including your wedding if you
Dalton Castle is a 14th-century peel tower situated in
Dalton-in-Furness, Cumbria, England, and in the ownership of the National Trust. It was constructed by the monks of Furness Abbey for the protection of
the nearby market town after a raid by Robert Bruce in 1322. After the Dissolution of 1537 the ownership passed to the crown and in 1546 stone was used
from the abbey to repair the castle. The castle was used as a prison until 1774 then a court house to 1925.
The castle was given to the National Trust in 1969 by the Duke of Buccleuch.
Piel Island lies approximately half a mile from Rampside and is reached by ferry boat or by
walking with great care across the sands from Walney (stick to the ferry unless you are local and know the tides).The area of the land is in the region of
50 acres. The island has a pub called the Ship Inn that is currently undergoing restoration. The Ship Inn dates from the late 18th century and the
landlord is known as the King of Piel. The present newly crowned King is Steve Chattaway. Piel is also home to Piel Castle and a row of old custom
houses now used by locals.
The Island came under the control of the Cistercians at the nearby Furness Abbey who used Piel as a safe harbour and used it to store grain etc.
After the dissolution of the monasteries in 1537 the island became the property of the king.
During the 1700s Piel became an important trading post and custom men were permanently stationed there due to the amount of smuggling going on.
In the second half of the 18th century His Majestys boatmen were stationed as pilots and custom inspectors as the volume of shipping increased.
The Duke of Buccleuch donated the island to Barrow in 1920 as a memorial for the First World War.
Today the island is a haven for wild life and a popular spot for visitors and sailors, especially during the summer months. It is common to see
people pitching their tents for use after an evening in the pub.
The original building was founded as a hospital for the poor and through varies changes is now a large residential Buddhist Centre with a unique
Temple providing a peaceful and inspiring environment in which people can learn about Buddhism and meditation. The house is of Gothic Victorian
architecture and dominated by two octagonal towers.
The present building and 70 acres of grounds was purchased in 1976 by the Manjushri Kadampa Meditation Centre. Unfortunately the house having been
open to the elements was suffering from serious dry rot and in danger of collapse. The house is still under restoration but large areas have been
completed and the house is a magnificent Grade II building.
For more information go to nkt-kmc-manjushri and www.conisheadpriory. The house and grounds are open to the public, please check the official websites for times and detail.
01229 - 583204
The hall was built around 1586 by George Fell who was a local landowner, in 1652 George Fox the founder of the Quakers for seven years used the
house as a base to spread the movement all over the country and abroad. The house was bought by the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) in 1954.
For full details about tours, opening times, Events and history of the hall visit email@example.com