Statues of Barrow

Emlyn Hughes OBE

Emlyn was born on the 28th August 1947 in Barrow in Furness and went on to captain Liverpool football club and the English national side. He started his football career playing for Barrow before joining Blackpool, making his debut in 1964. From Blackpool he went to Liverpool in 1967 and for four seasons Liverpool did not win any honours and then in 1970 after a defeat by Watford the team was transformed with new players coming in and the old leaving and Liverpool went on to dominate the 70s.

Amongst the Liverpool fans Emlyn was voted at number 10 in a poll of favourite players who shook the Kop and this year he was induced into the National Football Museums Hall of Fame.

Emlyn made 474 appearances for Liverpool and 62 for England and after football he made a career in television becoming a captain on ‘A Question of Sport’opposite Bill Beaumont.

The Emlyn Hughes statue stands outside a new office block named after him on Abbey road, opposite the Duke of Edinburgh hotel 2 minutes from the station.

Emlyn made 474 appearances for Liverpool and 62 for England and after football he made a career in television becoming a captain on ‘A Question of Sport’opposite Bill Beaumont.

Emlyn passed away on the 9th November 2004 aged 57.

Emyln Hughes statue on Abbey Road

Willie Horne

Born on the 23rd January in Barrow in Furness Willie Horne went on to become one of the best if not the greatest rugby league players of all time. Between 1943 and 1959 he captained and played for Great Britain, England, Lancashire and Barrow. He lifted the Challenge Cup in 1955 as captain of Barrow after beating Workington 21-12 in the final at Wembly.

Willie Horne was induced into Barrows hall of fame in 2001 alongside team mates Jimmy Lewthwaite and Phil Jackson.

The Willie Horne statue stands on Duke street opposite the Craven Park the home of Barrow Rugby Club.

Willie Horne statue on Duke Street

Sir James Ramsden

Born in 1822 Sir James played a dominant role in the development of Barrow in Furness. After his engineering apprenticeship with a Liverpool firm he became the superintendent for the new Furness Railway Company in 1846. He soon became the company secretary and then the managing director from 1866 to 1895. At this time he also became managing director of the Barrow Hematite Steel Company and from 1875 to 1888 took the role at the Barrow Shipbuilding Company.

Sir James was a benefactor of many new civic and social facilities of the town. He was knitted in 1872 and a statue was unveiled in the same year. The statue now stands at Ramsden Square opposite the Barrow library.

Sir James died in 1896 and is buried at the local Barrow Cemetery.

The statue of Sir James Ramsden stands on Ramsden Square opposite the Barrow library.

Sir James Ramsden statue at Ramsden Square

Henry Schneider

Henry Schneider arrived in town as a young speculator in 1839. Looking for deposits of iron ore he was just about to give up when in 1850 he discovered huge deposits of haematite. This was to change the face of Barrow for ever. To transport the ore he and other investors founded the Furness Railway with the first section of track opening in 1846. It was soon clear money could be made by steel making and along with James Ramsden they oversaw the construction of the largest steelworks in the world at that time. The Industrial Revolution of the area had started. The original population of Barrow in 1851 was 700, by 1881 it had rose to 47,000.

Henry Schneider died in 1887.

The statue of Henry Schneider stands on Schneider Square near the town hall.

Henry Schneider Statue stands at Schneider Square

The Spirit of Barrow

Created by Chris Kelly cast by Castle Fine Arts the statue was unveilled on the 6th May 2005. It was funded by the North West Development agency with the base donated by BAE Systems the largest and most important employer in the town of Barrow. The statue depicts the skills and workers of Barrow.

The statue stands half way up Dalton Road at the crossroad that leads to Portland Walk.
Henry Schneider Statue stands at Schneider Square

Barrows Steel History



Situated on Duke Street near the town Hall the four large murals show the history of the Barrow steel industry.

The first mural is set in 1866 and it is showing that in 1864 the bessemer process invented by Sir Henry Bessemer made it possible to produce large quantities of high grade steel. The other three murals each show an era of the Barrow steel years.
Barrows Steel Industry


Back To The Home Page